Welcome to Word forWord, the musings of a teenager on her journey as a writer and everything that comes up along the way.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Read This! Reckless by Cornelia Funke

       I am so glad I stumbled upon this book. I nearly missed it. I was coming home from visiting family in London, bored and restless in a busy Heathrow terminal, when I found it browsing a WHSmith. To think that my flight was only a few minutes away! I came across the name Cornelia Funke, one of my favorite authors, with a title I didn’t recognize. The copyright date of the book was almost two years old so I couldn’t believe I hadn’t heard of it before! Of course, since the closure of Borders ‒rest in peace‒ I hadn’t gone to many bookstores as frequently as I used to. Anyhow, I was thrilled to find it.
        It is about Jacob Reckless, a young man who as a boy discovers a magical world through a mirror. Over troubling times at home, Jacob escapes to the mirror world and builds himself a new life and identity there. His little brother, Will, is the only thing that keeps him from staying in the mirror world forever, until Will follows him one day. But the mirror world is dangerous and soon a monstrous beast attacks Will. Infected, he will quickly turn into a beast as well… unless Jacob can find a cure for him.
        I love particularly imaginative books, especially in science fiction or fantasy which lend themselves so well to imaginative explorations. Reckless is definitely one of them. It has the flavor of a Grimm’s fairy tale, gothic, poetic and classical. It is deals with more adult themes than Cornelia Funke’s other noteworthy books Inkheart, The Thief Lord, Dragon Rider etc, which are mostly for children. I wonder if Reckless’ dark, mature style is why I never found it here in the states. I’ve heard that books, which bridge between audiences and don’t fall into one perfect category like this, aren’t always marketable. I would differ and say it is still a marvelous book deserving of the spotlight on the bookshelf, with banners and giant arrows to show it off.
       Reckless, as all of Cornelia Funke’s other works, is written with stunning beauty and picturesque language. Just look at the gorgeous first paragraph…
       The night breathed through the apartment like a dark animal. The ticking of a clock. The groan of a floorboard as he slipped out of his room. All was drowned by its silence. But Jacob loved the night. He felt it on his skin like a promise. Like a cloak woven of freedom and danger.
       The only problem I had with the book was its slightly confusing ending, but its vagueness suggests a sequel I’m anxiously awaiting.
        Yes, I can’t praise this utterly fantastic novel enough. I think it goes without saying that it’s my dream to be a writer like Cornelia Funke, especially since she illustrates as well. Reckless is truly a treasure of a read.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely will look for this book now! I've got a million and one books on my to-read list, but this one might just have to skip the line to #1...

    ReplyDelete